I just came from a gown fitting with my designer. I had to have my gown adjusted a little. During the fitting, my mind was wandering. People have always been conscious about appearances. Women, especially, are conscious to tell other people how much they weigh. Weight is, going back to your Science classes, the vertical force exerted by a mass (in this case, a person) as a result of gravity. We have always wanted to keep our weight down, sometimes even lower than what it is supposed to be. Most of us fail to do so though. This leads us to think on why do women gain weight?
Women gain weight because of a lot of factors – both internal and external factors, that is. I was watching reruns of the Oprah Show that other day about Obesity and they said in the show that people men and women gain weight because of a deeper reason, and not just beacuse they eat a lot. Women gain weight because of some of these things we do not see but they have actually encountered or are still are encountering:
1. Depression: This is the most common reason why women gain weight. Depression leads to make the person crave for food, normally sweets. These chocolates and sweets help make them feel better and happier. They feel that eating takes their minds of their depression.
2. Boredom: I have been asked by the doctor to stay at home for around 3 months because of my sickness, and I think I gained weight. I had nothing better to do so I would take out a bag of chips and munch away.
3. Growing up with Bad Eating Habits: Little children look cute when they are on the plump side. There are parents who stuff these young girls with candies, cakes and sweets in their early years, and these children tend to follow these bad eating habits when they grow up. Growing up with bad eating habits is also one reason why women gain weight.
4. Wrong Belief on Eating: As the saying goes, you should eat to live and not live to eat. People think that they always have to finish the food that they place on their plates. This is not true, girls! Try to get just the right amount of food per meal. Do not be mesmerized by the choices in that buffet table. If you are full, stop!
5. Wrong Belief about their Bodies: Some women say that their bodies are not meant for exercising. They say that they are not ‘athletic’. This is not true since all of us need to move around and circulate the blood in our bodies, athletic or not. This may be the reason why some women gain weight.
These are just some of the reasons why women gain weight, which they need to realize before it’s too late. Have you been gaining weight? Try to check. You may be encountering these things.
*image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/spablab/